According to Jean Shirlaw, the first known potter at Prestonpans was Anthony Hilcote ( many spellings), the date of his lease probably around 1750. The lease was renounced in 1769.
In 1772 George Gordon was granted a lease by Lady Hyndford and he formed a partnership the following year with Rowland Bagnall, the aim being to produce cream coloured ware, black tortoiseshell , white and every kind of potterware.
Unfortunately Bagnall died very soon after and following court action George Gordon moved in to Morrison`s Haven in 1774 employing initially six workers.
Originally a Clerk from the Leith Glass House Company, Gordon is later described as a master potter and he, with his two sons George junior and Robert saw the business prosper.
The lease was renewed in 1811 for 21 years, but a protracted dispute and court cases with their new landlord Sir George Grant Suttie eventually led to the termination of the lease at Morrison`s Haven in 1833 and the end of the pottery business there.
Cream coloured wares, black tortoiseshell, white and every kind of pottery wares.
Articles in SPHR
Typical Backstamps & Marks