Errol Pottery started life in 1855, but maybe as early as 1842, as the Inchcoonans Brick Works, Errol, Perth which, for a short time, also made pottery.
James Gentle is purportedly the owner of the early brickworks, having connections with Dundee.
In 1876 James Adamson is listed as owner but dies in 1891 from stomach cancer. It is his name carried on the shards of pottery.
The brickworks changed hands many times, being completely modernised in the 1990s, but mothballed in 2008 due to the recession.
The site was bulldozed in 2010.
An advertisement of 1880 carries the wares of the pottery, from the Advertiser:
“The firm have now started a new branch of industry. Satisfied after repeated experiments that the clay is well adapted for the manufacture of brown ware, flower pots, and the finer class of terra cotta, they recently established a pottery known as the Megginch Pottery, Errol.
In connection to the pottery, two kilns – one for the common class of glazed ware, the other for gilding and hand painted ware-have been erected, and they are in the course of finishing plungers and other apparatus for refining the clay.”
Shards of a planter are known and well decorated hand painted plaques.
Articles in SPHR
Articles in Bulletin (Members only)
“James Adamson & Co, Errol Works”
- No patterns are known
Other Publications & Links
We are grateful to SPS member Michael Gillies for his research, study, photographs and information relating to this pottery.