James Johnston, William Reid (of Annfield), Joseph Vaughan and James Sellar founded the Elgin pottery as a partnership in 1855. It was located just off Gallowgate on David Street, neighbouring the Campbellfield pottery.
The works were sold to Charles Purvis (or Purves) in 1860 after financial difficulty.
The Purvises were connected to the Verreville and Britannia potteries through association. William Reid stayed from the old partnership until 1861. Charles continued alone until 1867 when he sold the works to his brother, Thomas.
Charles used the capital to found the Mile-end pottery with a partner, John Denny. Denny died in 1869.
The Mile-end pottery was just a few streets away on Avenue St.
Robert Cochran, owner of Britannia pottery, took a 10 year lease on the Mile-end works from 1877, but whether the works produced further wares from this date and its final closure date remain unknown.
The potteries are listed together due to their small scale, lack of research and shared mark; making it impossible to differentiate between the two pottery’s wares.
Teapots, plates and lidded vegetable dishes in blue and white, pitchers. Few marked wares are known.
Probably all for the domestic market.
Articles in SPHR
Articles in Bulletin (Members only)
Typical Backstamps & Marks
“C.P.” Used for both Mile-end and Elgin potteries, making it impossible to differentiate where the pieces were made, “Elgin Pottery”, “P.D. & Co” (printed), “C.P. Elgin Pottery” (printed), “Thomas Purves Firestone Elgin Pottery” (impressed)
- The Shepherd Boy