Located at Inverkeithing, Fife.
Late 18th century maps depict the location having a town, just North of Inverkeithing, known as “Pottentown”. A report of 1836 mentions the manufacture of firebricks and fancy chimney cans, however the earliest note of the pottery works come from around 1892, operated by a John Ross.
It was incorporated into a limited company in 1898.
In 1893-4, Street Brothers take over, with a John Street as owner.
In 1907, the lease was taken over by Tilbury Contracting & Dredging Company.
Teapots, vases & terracotta wares, chimney cans, firebricks.
The Fifeshire Advertiser 24th August 1901: This is essentially a report on a: “Three years ago the firm became a Limited Company incorporating with it Cruicks Terra Cotta Works, Inverkeithing. At their latter work the company carried out the manufacture of teapots, vases and terra cotta ware.”
It goes on to explain that the Pottery had been closed to make way for a brickworks.
Wares produced for the local, domestic market.
Whether John Ross produced pottery, other than chimney cans, is unknown, but marked pottery wares are known from the John Street period.
It is likely that the incorporation into a limited company in 1898 was the end of the pottery works, and only bricks were made thereafter.
Articles in SPHR
Typical Backstamps & Marks
Impressed mark for Street Brothers, which is the only known marked pieces.