According to Jean Shirlaw, William Cadell and his wife Margaret Ingles had bought land in 1766 at Bankfoot, Prestonpans and had built a pottery there. The pottery produced glazed brown ware and when William died in 1781 his widow continued until 1790 when Lady Hyndford summoned her to “to flit from the mill” which had also been let to her.
The Bankfoot pottery was then put up for sale and eventually sold to George Gordon and his wife in 1795.
Under the Gordons, the pottery thrived for a number of years until an extended dispute and court action with Sir George Grant Suttie, (who had inherited the estate from Lady Hyndford) ended when George junior sold out and left Bankfoot in 1840 when the pottery closed.
Pearlware & earthenware, including transfer printed wares, for the domestic market.
Cadell is recorded in a newspaper of 1771 having sent a parcel of stoneware to Oporto.
Articles in SPHR
Typical Backstamps & Marks
Impressed “G. Gordon”
- British Lakes